Curried Lentils and Rice2013-05-07
- Yield : 2
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 55m
Curried Lentils and Rice is solid and satisfying while being very light in fats. It is a great combination of flavors and textures in it.
- 1 cup peas (frozen, defrosted)
- 1 cup tomato (fresh, diced)
- 1 cup brown lentils (soaked, rinsed and drained)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (finely minced)
- 1 small piece hot pepper (finely minced)
- ½ cup Basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 tablespooons cilantro (chopped for garnish)
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- hot sauce
Take a medium sized sauce pan, pour and heat oil. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and pepper and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Cook until onion turn to golden to transparent.
Add lentils, rice, curry powder and water and stir well. Cover the sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat once it boils to low heat and simmer for 35 minutes.
Then remove from heat, add peas to sauce pan and let sit for 5 more minutes.
Add tomatoes and salt and fluff with a fork.
Transfer to a serving plate, top with cilantro and serve immediately.